A second floor home addition project is great investment for growing families. It’s a great way to utilize and maximize the square footage of a small property while giving everyone a chance to get creative with the addition of new fixtures and appliances.
Having a second floor has its many perks. First, it can give great views of the beautiful scenery in a specific location. Second, air quality is improved due to better ventilation. Third, the value of a house increases because the the living capacity also increases.
Depending on the varying requirements of a homeowner, the second floor can be utilized better when its features match the function of a specific room. A great deal of planning and anticipation is needed to create a second level that will prove to be functional for the whole family.
Second Floor Home Addition Ideas
- Setup an office. Moving your home office to the second floor is a brilliant idea because the office needs to be separate from the rest of the home for it to be conducive for anything work related. The ample supply of natural lighting is an added plus so take advantage of this by locating it in a room where sunlight is present.
- Add a playroom. Homeowners with children can take advantage of the great ventilation on this floor. It’s great to setup a playroom where there are windows that will also give ample supply of natural light.
- Create additional bedrooms. A growing family will need more space. By adding more bedrooms on the second level, you will decongest the ground floor dramatically. This adds harmony to the home by giving the family members more breathing room.
- Make additional storage space. Making one of the additional rooms on the second floor a storage room is a smart move because as the family grows, more possessions are acquired and this may require more storage space than usual.
Raising children has its phases and the items and equipment for child care may be overwhelming simply because they take up too much space. Having a spare room for these items is a must.
- A guest room. One of the best benefits of having a second floor home addition project done on your property is having dedicated space guest room space. The added floor will allow space not only for the guest room itself but a guest-dedicated bath and toilet as well.
- Create a study room. Much like the office, placing the study room or library on the floor makes it separate from the hustle and noise of a home with quite a number family members. Children who are studying can concentrate more in this space rather than keeping on the ground floor where much of the action takes place.
- Walk-in closets and full bathrooms. Having more space means you can add more space for luxury. A bedroom that can boast an impressive walk-in closet is ideal for families with teens. A full bathroom located in between rooms can be placed for siblings to share. The full bathroom can have all the features which includes a shower, a bath tub and single or double vanity options.
It is important to note that safety is always a priority for homes created for families specially ones with small children. All rooms on the second floor must have safety features like an escape window and ladders for emergency situations. It’s always best to be prepared in case any unforeseen accidents and worse case scenarios.
Having made the decision to add a second floor is always good news. It signifies growth and expansion. Your new second floor simply means that your family is evolving. What better way to to create future memories is by making sure you have ample space for new family members to come. This may not be an easy and simple project but once you have committed to it, the tedious planning and execution will all prove to be worthwhile.
Thinking about having a second floor home addition project done in your property? Need some suggestions or advice? Dial 703 434-0001 today for a free consultation & estimate!